REGISTRAR OF TRADE UNIONS
VISION – Organized and accountable trade unions
MISSION – To provide a healthy regulatory framework for trade union activities.
MANDATE – To ensure effective and efficient registration of trade unions in compliance with the constitution, the Labour Relations Act (LRA) and other related Labour laws.
- Registration of trade unions, employer’s organizations and federations and their branches.
- Registration of elected officials after the general elections and by-elections.
- Registration of trade unions constitutions or any amendments thereof and change of name(s).
- Inspection of trade unions books of accounts and records.
- Updating trade union membership records upon receipt and scrutiny of the Annual Returns.
- Preparing submissions and liaising with the Office of the Attorney General on cases brought against the Registrar or where the Registrar is a Respondent.
- General administration of the trade unions under the provisions of the relevant laws thereto.
- Registration of amalgamations of trade unions, employers’ organizations and federations.
- Directing all registered trade unions, employers’ organizations and federations to carry out elections after the mandatory five years in accordance with the Labour Relations Act,
- Determination of trade unions disputes arising from their operations in accordance with the law and their constitutions.
- Cancellation and/or suspension of trade unions which are dissolved or have ceased to exist or are operating in contravention of the law.
- Issuance of Extracts (registered officials) of trade unions, employers’ organization and federations upon request
|Services Rendered/Delivered||Requirement from the customer||User charges||Time-lines|
|Filing of Annual Returns||Audited accounts by 1st of April every year||Kshs. 2,200 and a penalty of Kshs. 1,000 for every month defaulted||1st April of every year|
|Filing of Notice of Change – names or titles of officials/officers||Duly filed Form ‘Q’ filed within 14 days from the date of change||Kshs. 3,000||Within 7 days|
|Filing of Notice of change of the physical and postal address||Duly filed Form ‘E’||Kshs. 600.00||Within 3 days|
|Issuance of Extract of officials of a trade union||Application letter||Kshs. 500||With 3 days|